Pimperne is an old village, possibly dating from Saxon times, and is mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) as ‘Pinpre’. The village stands in a valley and lies mostly on chalk. An Iron-
The land was farmed in Roman times before the Saxons arrived and began the work of clearing the trees from the valleys. The Manor of Pimperne was divided into two parts, the main part being passed down eventually to the Plantagenets. In 1540 Henry VIII presented it to Catherine Howard and in 1543 he gave it to Queen Catherine Parr.
Eventually in 1767 the manor was bought by William Portman. The Portman Estate was finally split up and sold in 1924.
A church has been in Pimperne for many centuries; the font dates from the 12th century and there are ancient yews within the churchyard. The church registers date back to 1559. Outside the church gate is a 14th century preaching cross for the use of friars who were forbidden access to the church by the clergy.
Pimperne is situated within the Cranborne Chase and West Wiltshire Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, two miles outside of the Georgian town of Blandford Forum. At the heart of the village lies a Conservation Area of special historic interest.
The population of Pimperne has risen steadily over the years and now numbers over 1000.
The village of Pimperne is blessed with a great community spirit. We have a thriving primary school and a well attended church and numerous clubs and associations within the village. There is also a very active Sports Society, including a village cricket team and football squad, and a well used sports field. We are also lucky to have two pubs within the village.
Pimperne was very proud to win the Best Large Village award in the Dorset Best Kept Village competition in 2011 and has subsequently won the Best Kept Village Large Village Previous Winners award in 2012 and 2016.